“This was a little crazy,” admits Ina Garten of this soup recipe from her new cookbook, Modern Comfort Food. “I was walking through an airport once and spotted chicken pot pie soup on a restaurant menu. What a good idea!”
After several attempts to replicate it at home, she hit on this perfect combination of flavors—and clever puff pastry croutons. You can prepare and bake the croutons while the soup simmers, or prepare the croutons ahead of time, refrigerate and bake just before serving the soup.
You can use prepared chicken stock, but this is even better with Garten’s homemade version for rich flavor and aroma. Adding a Parmesan cheese rind while it simmers really takes this over the top.
Related: Ina Garten’s Secret Weapon: Homemade Chicken Stock
[Reprinted from Modern Comfort Food. Copyright © 2020 by Ina Garten. Photographs copyright © 2020 by Quentin Bacon. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House]
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 3 chicken breasts, skin on, bone in (2½-3 lb total)
- Olive oil
- 4 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 cups chopped leeks, white and green parts (3)
- 4 cups chopped fennel, tops and cores removed (2 bulbs)
- 3 cups (½-inch) diced carrots (5 medium)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ cup Wondra flour
- ¾ cup cream sherry, divided
- 7 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 (2 x 3-inch) Italian Parmesan cheese rind
- 1 (10-oz) box frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen whole pearl onions
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
Puff Pastry Croutons:
- ½ (17.3-oz) pkg frozen puff pastry (such as Pepperidge Farm), thawed
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place chicken, skin side up, on a sheet pan. Rub with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Roast 35 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 130°–140°F. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard skin and bones. Cut chicken into a 1-inch dice; set aside.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium. Add leeks, fennel and carrots; saute over medium-high 10 minutes or until leeks are tender but not browned. Stir in garlic and tarragon; saute 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add ½ cup sherry, stock, 4 tsp salt, 1½ tsp pepper and Parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes.
Add chicken, peas and onions. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Off the heat, remove Parmesan rind; add remaining ¼ cup sherry and parsley. Serve hot in large shallow bowls topped with 2 Puff Pastry Croutons.
Puff Pastry Croutons:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Lightly dust a board and rolling pin with all-purpose flour. Unfold puff pastry. Lightly dust with flour and lightly roll to smooth out folds. Use star-shaped or fluted round cookie cutters to cut out 12 stars or rounds; place on prepared pan. Combine and cream; brush over tops of stars or rounds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 8–10 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.