Toledo fire officials share cooking safety tips for Fire Prevention Week

Adella Miesner

Fire Prevention Week is a time to evaluate your safety plans so you can quickly escape in an emergency. This year’s theme is “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The National Fire Protection Association says cooking results in more than 150,000 house fires a year. “It’s one of the […]

Fire Prevention Week is a time to evaluate your safety plans so you can quickly escape in an emergency.

This year’s theme is “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!”

The National Fire Protection Association says cooking results in more than 150,000 house fires a year.

“It’s one of the highest number of fires when we talk about highest number of causes of house fires,” said Sterling Rahe, public information officer for the Toledo Fire & Rescue Department.

Rahe also said unattended pots on the stove and kids playing in the kitchen are the top reasons for cooking fires.

“Keep the kids away from the stove no closer than 3 feet. Always keep your eye on them. Keep the handles of pots turned inwards and not hanging over the stove where the kids can grab a hold of it and pull those liquids on them.”

Besides cooking safety, fire officials want to remind everyone to have their furnaces and fireplaces checked by a professional to make sure they are working properly.

“Have a carbon monoxide detector in proximity to that furnace basically because when we talk about carbon monoxide, it’s colorless, odorless, tasteless and it gets you before you even know it.”

And if you use space heaters, make sure there is a 3-foot buffer around the device so that it does not catch nearby couches or curtains on fire.

“Any approved alternate heating source such as space heaters should be plugged directly into the wall. Don’t use any type of power strips, any extension cords. That’s a no-no. They draw a lot of current and can overheat those cords.”

Lastly, you should have a plan and know the exit routes from all the rooms at your house in case of a fire.

“Make sure that you know two ways out of that room, a window or a door so if something’s blocked, you can go the other way.”

Now is also a great time to check all the smoke detectors in your house to make sure they are working and to replace any dead batteries.

Source Article

Next Post

Spartanburg restaurant lawsuit over emergency orders 'moot,' McMaster attorneys argue | Greenville Business

Gov. Henry McMaster’s lawyers said in court Monday that the governor’s action to lift capacity limits on restaurants last week makes moot a lawsuit by a Spartanburg restaurant owner challenging the constitutionality of an ongoing state of emergency in South Carolina. Though his attorneys said the timing was coincidental, McMaster […]